Hide & Seek
A Film by Peter Gordon and Jonathan McDavitt
Notes from the composer
A very early project from my student days.
Film score production budget: $50 worth of pizza for the band. I got nothing for the score and music editing.
Obviously, the recording is pretty lo-fi because of the budget limits, but I think everyone involved had a great time getting into the Film Noir sound. Everything was recorded live with a stereo mic pair in the Jazz Rehearsal Room at the Newman Center for the Performing Arts (with a couple of edits for the film montage).
This recording features members of the Univ. of Denver’s Lamont School of Music’s Jazz and Commercial Music program.
1. Intro: Yes, this is an homage to Mancini.
2. Not Tonight: A woman, a man, and a question: Are you married?
3. I Hope It’s Not Another Cop: Driving music for cops going to a murder scene. Will it be another in a series of dead police officers?
4. Dreamtime: The first dream sequence: a young girl playing hide & seek with her father, until…
5. The Beat: More driving music
6. Do You Have To Go Now?: … the woman asks her police officer husband.
7. Dreams and Nightmares: The hide & seek dream again, ending in a murder.
8. Closing Credits: A great trumpet solo by Brynn Rector.
Brynn Rector – trumpet
Eric Lilly – piano